Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Let Them Eat Cake

Jason's grandmother has offered to pay for our wedding cake. We were originally thinking of having a simple two-tier display cake, and get cheap Costco cakes for serving to the guests. This would be a relatively inexpensive way to feed everyone. But, Jason's grandma and aunt want us to have a nice cake that will feed everyone.

Personally, I think it is a great idea to have the 'kitchen cakes' for ease of serving. I want to have a nice three-tier wedding cake, but have the 'kitchen cakes' for everyone to actually eat. This just seems so much easier, since you can have people in the kitchen cutting the cakes and plating up the pieces for quicker service. Otherwise, everyone has to wait for us to cut up this massive round cake, dish it up, and pass it out to 200 people. Ugh.

I'm pushing for my idea, even if we don't do Costco cakes. The cake lady I emailed with a while back said they will make the kitchen cakes from the same recipe as the tier cake.

So, anyone know a good cake-baker? His grandma wants us to get something nice and of good quality. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

jeric2003 said...

Beverly's Best in Brea.

Great flavors, really nice decorating. They were very flexible, friendly, and are a pretty normal cost. I liked the consistency of their cakes and the variety of fillings and icing were all very good. They also make really creative cakes for other occasions that look really good too.

I did the same thing you're talking about. I had a three-tiered cake and then a couple of sheet cakes that could be cut up in advance. That way you can even order different flavors to make the masses happier. :)

Sheet cakes are great, and save money too. I we had them bring out the pre-cut sheet cakes and after that they cut up the lower two layers of the actual cake.

One thing I would have done differently: renting a nice decorative base for the cake to sit on - it dresses it up a bit more. I think I remember that they had a nice variety.

I can't remember what city your wedding is, but they delivered from downtown Brea to uptown Whittier for mine, so that's a pretty good distance.

You can call to set up a tasting appointment (SO yummy):
(714) 529-3989
3020 Brea Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92835

Sher said...

Thanks for the tip! I forwarded the info to Jason. Maybe we can get there this weekend!