Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Invitation Wording

Every invitation I have seen says "Two thousand and six." Gramatically/mathematically, however, this is incorrect. The only time you say "and" as part of the number is when there is a fractional part. Are all the invitations wrong? If so, do I change mine since I have noticed this error? I feel hypocrital teaching the kids at school to say "two thousand six" while sending out invitations that say "Two thousand and six."

What to do, what to do?

I got a very good email today -- my mom and siblings want to come and help me assemble invitations ... in two days! I'm very excited to have them come, but there is a ton of work to be done beforehand ... including figuring out how to word the year. Oh the humanity!

3 comments:

luminarumbra said...

First off, you don't tell anyone about it. Then, you make sure none of your kids are on the guest list. Finally, you send it out and hope none of your friends/relatives are English teachers.

Well, I just pulled out my sister's graduation announcement to see how the professionals do it, and it appears that, unless you've already printed them all out and can't afford to do it again, you should leave the "and" out.

jeric2003 said...

Every example I ever saw had the "and" in it, so I folded and went against the English major in me, and left it in for my invitations. I hate how often people say "and" when stating the year.

It's like people who use the wrong form of referring to themselves, just because they think it sounds better. Example: "It was a huge blow to my husband and myself." Myself??? Or "It was a huge blow to my husband and I." Just say "ME" dangit!

Melissa P. said...

I don't think it is really that important, honestly. Go with whatever you have already done. Don't worry with it!