Saturday, February 18, 2006

Trying to be Decisive

I'm very close to going with Dress #1. After looking over the pictures Jen posted, I'm pretty sure Dress #2 looks great on the model in the picture, but would not look so great on me. However, I know how Dress #1 looks (I think it actually looks better on me than on the model in the picture), and it is the one I keep coming back to even after looking at other dresses. It is just so beautiful!

I've decided to order it from Ferndales, though, instead of Mary Me Bridal. Is that bad? I found the dress at Mary Me Bridal, but I really liked the service and atmosphere of Ferndales better. It seemed very down-to-earth and established. Mary Me is very nice, but a little too sophisticated for me (besides the fact that "Mary" should be spelled "Marry" ... and I don't like their website). Also, Ruthie at Ferndales sent me a nice card thanking me for coming and hoping to see me again soon. What personal service! I just called her to see if I could order through them, and she even remembered me! That is not something I get often living in the Metropolis.

So, I am scheduled to go in Monday and order my dress. I really hope I am making the right decision. I'm so indecisive and I keep second-guessing myself. For instance, I wonder if I should go for a more simple look ... say something like this dress. What do you think?

5 comments:

Jen said...

1. You don't owe any salon anything. They're not entitled to your business, even if you did find the dress at their shop. Most bridal salons endeavor upon selling you the whole package-the dress, the buying experience, professionalism, the service, the atmosphere, the alterations, etc. Sounds like Ferndales successfully met more of those criteria than Mary Me. Feel completely secure in your decision to spend your money wherever you like. Go to Ferndales--sounds like they're really treating you well!

Second, I had the same issue with my dress that I thought I wanted. Looked terrific on the model, terrible on me. I really do like your dress #1 and I like it better than your dress #2. Number 1's cut is so flattering on so many figure types.

Third, dress #1 vs dress #3? I still like one. As I recall, you're um...well endowed? Dress #3 looks like it would emphasize that. Since I'm guessing you don't want to go bow-chica-bow-wow on your wedding day (save that for the wedding night ;) ) I'd tend to stay away from that style if you have the figure I think I remember you having. If not than totally disregard this comment. Plus, I think dress 1 is just plum prettier than dress 3.

Fourth-if you're not sure yet, ask Ferndale's how long you can realistically wait before it's too late. Sounds like they're very willing to accomodate you and may even help you in searching for other gowns if you're not sure. A good bridal salon (which it sounds like they are) "gets" that you only get to do this once and so they want to help get you in to the perfect gown. Do they have that gown in their store? Will they allow you to take a photo so that you can reflect on it later when you're out of the store and the emotion and pressure has passed?

Relax. Pat yourself on the back. You're doing great!

Sher said...

You can see pictures of me in other wedding dresses here.

I wouldn't say I'm "well-endowed" but I'm not flat, either. I'm around a size 16, which is on the plump size, but I have nice curves, so that makes it worthwhile.

Jen said...

you do have nice curves! I think the dresses in the photos that have the natural waist emphasize your curves nicely, which makes me a fan of number 1 even more. I'm not a fan of the 1 empire waisted gown that you posted your picture of, and I'm not sure that dress #2 wouldn't hang similarly. The swooshy thing looks nice on you and though in the david's pictures the swoosh is on the side, I imagine the effect would be similar in dress #1. So, dress 1 is still my favorite ;) can't wait to see what you decide. but, no pressure, so I really can wait, I'm just excited for you :)

luminarumbra said...

I'm gonna say #1 as well. As big a fan as I am of the "plain but pretty" look, I think #1 is a very gorgeous and much more Sherida type dress. And I liked all the ones that looked similar to that on you.

Melissa P. said...

I think #2 looks really low-cut. Yes, your guests could meet and greet your boobs that day, but who wants that kind of attention from friends and family at your wedding?!

Just in case you decide to change your mind, don't ever order anything you haven't tried on first!