Monday, January 16, 2006

I Didn't Make It

TO the dress shop, that is. It seems I need someone to prod me along, so I will wait until I have more moral support.

I did get my engagement ring back today. We had it sized down, inspected, and cleaned, so I was without it for the weekend. I missed it so much! I used a fill-in because my finger felt so naked without it.

On the wedding ring front, we did find one that we really like for Jason and we have a couple ideas for mine. One idea is to have a ring that is similar to my engagement ring, but with three baget diamonds across. That one will probably have to be custom made, though, and may cost around $800. Option number two is a much simpler design, with a row of small diamonds that is the same length as my engagement ring. The lady at the jewelry store was looking to find one that does not have to be custom made, but she was not there for us to talk with today. I am pleased with either option, but money is obviously a consideration.

It looks like I may go dress shopping on February 11, since Ruth is going to try to be here that weekend. I am going to try to get my bridesmaids out, too, and we will all go together. What fun!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Don't wait too terribly much longer because some companies, you need as much as 3 months for your dress to come in and then you still need time for alterations. And since it's a summer wedding, it will take even longer given the rush.

Allusions Bridal Salon in Brea has wretched customer service, (or they did in 2002 when I bought my dress) but they're supposedly Christian and they have the biggest selection around so if you're looking for a particular dress (and you still live in the Biola area--I'm not sure), they probably are most likely to have it.

The David's Bridal on Imperial in Brea is awesome. I had awful experiences at all the other David's in the vicinity. Take your camera if you're going to David's--they let you take pictures with the gown on-you can come home and look at the pictures and have time to process.

Have fun!

Jen said...

Oh and I found out the hard way that you need an appointment to try on dresses on a Saturday at that time of year. Just a heads' up...you may already know, but I didn't know til I arrived.

Mama Mia said...

Dress shopping is much more fun with friends. If you can, avoid going with domineering personalities (no, duh) and go with the gals you feel most comfortable with. For me-- my best friend of 14 years, Cori, and our close friend Amani. Or my Mom and Deb.

Make an appointment, but also take advantage of other oppurtunities to buy dresses. I got mine for about $60 at Robinson's May when I was looking for a dress for the Marine Corps Ball. It's perfect, I love it, and it was cheaper and easier than any of the looking and trying-on I did at bridal shops.

# 1 rule: enjoy it.
# 2 rule: go with people you enjoy being around
# 3 rule: if the salesperson is pushy or unhelpful, you don't have to stay!! There are lots of places that offer similar or identical lines, as well as varying ones. Only go to the places you feel like you are treated like a princess. :o)

Just some wedding dress hints from a young bride (Deb's little sister).. I've found brides' maids' dresses to be more difficult, but that varies on the bridesmaids.

Mama Mia said...

I concur with miss jen about the Brea David's Bridal on Imperial being good-- two thumbs up for them! Ask for Bethany, she's a good friend of mine and is amazing at what she does. I'm sure she'd make you feel comfortable. :o)